How can the members check the account balance and the statements of EPF? – This is the query of most members as they feel that they should be aware of the EPF balance. It creates a transparency as the employees can see the contribution made by the employer and can also check their EPF balance which they can either withdraw of transfer if they require. Therefore, the EPFO has now made the procedure to check the EPF Balance very simple and user friendly. Earlier it used to be a big hassle but now you can check the balance from any place and at any given time and that too without making visits to the EPF office and filling numerous forms.
Practically speaking it is just a 5 minute procedure and you can easily do it with the help of an SMS, a missed call, using the EPFO portal or through the EPFO App.
Why is EPF important?
EPF is a very important part of an employee’s earning. This is the amount he saves for himself mandatorily. If they are aware of their PF balance, they can plan for the expenses which they might not be able to afford with the regular income or wages. They can withdraw the EPF and can also avail the loan against the balance of PF. Even if they are not planning to withdraw or transfer the amount, they should be updated as to the amount of increase in their PF time to time.
What are the ways to check the EPF balance?
The EPF balance can be checked through the following ways:
- Using the EPF portal
- Sending SMS
- Giving a missed call
- Using the EPF App
All these are explained under:
1. Using the EPF portal – In case you want to check the PF balance on the EPF portal, you need to ensure that the employer has activated your UAN. As we know that this UAN or the Universal Account number is unique for all the members who are enrolled and making use of EPF policy. All the members must have only one UAN throughout their career span no matter how many companies they switch. The EPFO provides this UAN but it needs to be activated through the employer. In case your UAN is activated, you can follow the steps below to check the PF balance:
- Visit the official website of EPF https://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/ and click on “Our Services”. Select the option “For employees” from the dropdown list.
- Now find “Services” and click on “Member Passbook”
- You will be now redirected to a new page wherein you would be required to login using your credentials such as UAN and Password.
- From here on the you can have the access of their EPF account.
2. Sending SMS – In case your UAN is linked to the KYC you can find out the Balance by sending a text message. The KYC or Know Your Customer details include – Bank Account number and details such as IFSC code and branch name, Aadhaar Card number and the PAN card number. And in case the UAN is not KYC authenticated, you can approach your employer to assist you with this. The procedure to find the EPF balance through SMS is :
- Type the message as “EPFOHO UAN ENG” and send it to 77 38 29 98 99.
Please note, ENG means the initial three characters of your preferred language so in case you want to check the message in Hindi, you can use HIN. The languages available are, Bengali, Punjabi, Kannada, Tamil, Telegu, Malayalam, Gujarati, and Marathi.
3. Giving a missed call – Again the condition to receive the PF balance through the Missed call facility is the KYC integration on your UAN. In case your UAN is linked to the KYC you can find out the Balance by giving a missed call. The KYC or Know Your Customer details include – Bank Account number and details such as IFSC code and branch name, Aadhaar Card number and the PAN card number. And in case the UAN is not KYC authenticated, you can approach your employer to assist you with this. If your KYC verification is done, you can follow the steps below:
- The members need to give a missed call on the number 011 – 22 90 14 06. This has to be done from the verified mobile number.
- Once this is done, the members will receive a text message along with their PF details.
4. Using the EPFO app – In case you want to check your PF balance on the mobile app of EPFO, you must ensure that your employer has activated your UAN. You can download the EPFO Android app – “m-Sewa App” from the Google Play Store. The steps to find out the balance through this app are as under:
- Open the app on your phone and hit “Member”
- Go to “Balance/Passbook”
- You can now punch in your UAN and the authorized mobile number which the system will automatically verify as per the UAN details and in case it doesn’t match you will receive an error message. You would be able to view the EPF balance details in case the mobile number matches the UAN database. This EPF balance is updated as on date.
As a matter of fact, another App was launched by the Electronics and IT Ministry and it is called “UMANG” app. This App acts like an umbrella for all the services offered by the government such as Gas booking, Aadhaar card, EPF, NPS and Crop Insurance. EPF details are also available on this app which you can view any time. You need to install this app from the Google Play Store and under the “Employee Centric Services” head, find the EPF option. This would be on the homepage itself. From here you can check your PF balance. And the details of other things related to PF.
The government of India has surely made commendable efforts for the employees and this is surely a relief to the employees and employers alike.