According to the notification from Income Tax Department, one can file income tax return without Linking PAN and Aadhar till August 5, 2017. The last date to link Aadhar and PAN was August 31, 2017. Though one can file income tax returns without linking, the return process will not start until Aadhar and PAN are linked.
To link these identifies, one can visit the I-T department’s e-filing website. There is a two-step process to link PAN with Aadhar which doesn’t even need registration at e-filing website.
Linking with 2-Step Process
- First of all, visit incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the link “Link Aadhar”
- Submit your Aadhar no., PAN number, and enter the name exactly mentioned in Aadhar Card (without spelling mistakes). It will be done once it is verified from UIDAI, which is a government website.
- In case of any mismatch in name, you will need an Aadhar OTP. Ensure that the gender and date of birth in Aadhar and PAN card are exactly the same.
- In case Aadhar name is totally different from the name given in PAN card, linking will be failed and taxpayer will be asked to change the name in either PAN or Aadhar database.
By Visiting Income Tax website
However, one can also logon to income tax website to link Aadhar to PAN. Here are the steps –
- First of all, register at e-filing portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ if you are not registered already.
- Enter the login ID, your password and date of birth
- It will show a popup window and prompt you to link PAN with Aadhar card. If popup is not seen, go to blue tab on the bar “Profile Settings” and click “Link Aadhar”.
- It will also show the details like Name, DOB, Gender etc. as per the details provided during registration. Verify the details with information on Aadhar card.
- Enter your Aadhar number and Captcha and click “Link Now” if details are matched.
- It will show a popup message that your Aadhar has been linked to your PAN card.